Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Enflish muffins

I have been obsessed lately with the idea of making english muffins. Gluten free, of course. Problem is, I've had a hard time finding the rings to make them. I haven't looked super hard, but I've been reluctant to pay high prices plus shipping.
As I was looking through my trusty Culinary Arts Institute cookbook. It's originally from the 1940's and is great for modifying recipes! Anyway, it has an english muffin recipe that doesn't require rings. It makes a soft dough that you cut and let raise. So decided to give it a go. I mixed the batter last night before bed and finished it up this am. Not perfect, but absolutely excellent for a trial run! They didn't have those big bubbles that traditional english muffins have, but they had a good sourdough taste.
Here's my recipe (such as it stands and the way I made it last night--near's I can remember):
3 C millet flour, divided
1 C tapioca starch
1 Tbsp instant yeast
1 Tbsp quar gum
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp melted coconut oil (or butter)
1 1/4 C warm soymilk (or any other milk)
1 beaten egg

Mix together 2 cups of the millet flour, the starch, yeast, gum, salt and sugar. Whisk together the rest of the ingredients. Beat all together in a mixer for at least a minute. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let sit overnight.
In the morning, beat in the last cup of millet flour. Pat dough about 1/4 " thick on a floured piece of wax paper. I used a large mason jar ring to cut out muffins, but you can use any round cutter. I kept the cut muffins on the floured paper and covered to let rise until doubled in bulk. I cheated and used the oven since I slept late and was in a rush, but ideally, you should probably let them raise for about an hour, like Ruth says. That may help with the bubbles too.
Once they are raised and fluffy looking, get a heavy skillet (cast iron is perfect) heated to a nice medium hot temperature. I heated mine and had to turn it down a few times, but that could be my stove too-a whole 'nother post!
When your pan is hot, carefully transfer a few of your muffins to it. They should cook for about 5-7 minutes each side. Or until nicely browned. Flip and cook on the other side. Viola!
I found these to dry out pretty quick-so cover as soon as cooled.
Like I said, these weren't perfect, and G was rather offended that they weren't Muffins. You know, like real Muffins! But I thought they were pretty tasty. I enjoyed the sourdough-yness of them.
I think I will try making it up as english muffin bread too. That is something I used to make a lot and we really enjoyed before heading into allergy land.

The last two muffins raising. Look at their beautiful fluffiness!
Cooking in the cast iron pan. Just a bit of brown-like the real thing. No oil in the pan.
The finished product. No big holes for butter and honey, but still, a lighter bread than I've made in a long time. Oh wait, I haven't made much bread in the last, ohh, 6 months. (hide)

7 comments:

Quincy said...

These look excellent! I want to try this! Do you think I can use arrowroot in place of tapioca starch?

Shady Lady said...

These look good! I can't wait till LK has time to bake again.

RasJane said...

Quincy, I think any starch would work just fine. I was also going to try teff flour. Or blend flours away to your hearts content!
ShadyLady, too bad we're not at Village this term, I'd bring you one. Well, I would have saved one out for you, or something.

Shady Lady said...

I think you should stop in for a visit! It's been too long!!

Carolyn said...

I have the dough in my fridge waiting for tomorrow. I will let you know how they turn out! I can't wait!

RasJane said...

Oh good! I can't wait to hear how the recipe worked for someone else! I never know since I don't always follow it myself, LOL!

Elle R. said...

I'm very impressed.

In your baking experiments, do let me know if there are any wierd british pans, implements, or ingredients I can send :)