Monday, April 07, 2008

Trillium Festival

Saturday we went up to Portland to Tryon Creek State Park. They were holding the annual Trillium Festival and native plant sale. We didn't buy any plants but had a great time at the festival!
We saw lots of mud of course. G insisted on this photo:
M did a great job answering questions at the booths to get free stuff. We learned more about native landscaping and local ecosystems.
We had to dress for the weather because it did rain a little bit. We went on a guided nature hike where we learned a lot about the plants and wildlife in the park.
I have the best looking guys around! I snapped this picture on the way out.
2 pictures I didn't get and wish I had were of the trilliums (duh, I forgot to take the camera on the hike) and the woodpecker we saw. As the rest of the group was heading on, I heard a tapping. Knowing how much M loves birds, I waited to see if I could get a look at the woodpecker. Sure enough, right in front of me on a tall Aspen, was a gorgeous Pileated Woodpecker. He put on quite a show for us and we had a great view of him before he flew off for juicier bugs.
There is a trillium picture I took last year at the end of this post. Of course, there are lots of photos if you follow the links in the park link above. They are really neat flowers. Three leaves, three petals, hence the name.

No comments: