Wednesday, February 06, 2008

A week's menu--rotation style

So, the rotation diet is underway since Monday. Below is the week menu I have come up with so far. I need to now sit down and plan out farther so I can make a reasonable grocery list. It is going alright so far. I'm way to stressed about it. But now that I have one week planned out, and 2 days having gone off alright, I'm feeling a bit better about the planning aspect.
I found out that the waiting list for a side of grass fed beef is over 2 months--same for pork. But it is only $2.30/# hanging weight. Not sure exactly what that will translate to dressed weight, but it will still be far better than the $15+/# I'm paying currently for grass-fed beef.
Then I called a woman here in town who gets free-range chickens from couple who raises them south of here. I got three 6# chickens at $2/# and ordered 7 more. They should be here next month.
But I'm still a bit worried about what this whole food thing is going to cost. Not to mention visits to the nutritional therapist, and a nutritionist (an appt I still need to make so I can get these menus more balanced), plus any supplements the therapists recommends. And then of course there is the sheer amount of time I spend in the kitchen and making menus and finding recipes and making recipes and shopping lists.
Here's the menu this week:


Breakfast
Lunch
Snack
Dinner
Tomorrows Prep
Monday
Teff Muffins
Chicken Strips
Smoothie
Hot dogs
Sweet potato chips
leftover muffins
lunch stuff
Teff Flatbread
Chicken and veggies
pack amap
make muffins
thaw pot roast
make beef patties
Tuesday
pot roast leftovers with shredded squash & apples
smoothie
beef patties
millet spoon bread
relish
peaches
fruit rollups
chips
leftover bread
beef stew

thaw bacon?
Wednesday
amaranth pancakes
bacon
smoothies
G-noodles
M&M-toasted amaranth with avocado dressing
fruit
amaranth tortillas
pulled pork
avocados

muffin mix
Thursday
quinoa muffins
smoothies
salmon salad
oranges
veggie soup with friends
quinoa granola
quinoa/veggie soup
pancake mix
Friday
sorghum pancakes
smoothies
hot dogs rolled in pancakes
sorghum cookies
pizza
pancake mix
thaw beef patties
Saturday
teff pancakes
smoothies
beef patties
carrot & celery sticks
leftover beef stew from freezer
apple sauce
teff cookies
meatballs made with leftover teff flatbread from Mon
veggies in palm oil and nut. yeast

Sunday
millet scones
bacon
leftover pulled pork from freezer
apples and oranges after church
ham and millet balls
carrot and raisin slaw


We learned more about M's peanut allergy yesterday. He had a reaction to peanuts in the air. His class made those peanut butter bird feeders that you make a shape and press bird seed into. His friend came out and asked if M could be around peanuts. My fault--I assumed she meant she wanted to eat a pb&j around him. I should have said no, but told her if she washed her hands and was careful, it should be alright. I never imagined the teacher--who knew he was peanut allergic--would have a mass peanut butter craft in the classroom! She brought gloves and thought that would be enough. Yikes. He knew not to even get near the craft or the kids doing it. He said in the far corner of the room. But that peanut smell was strong. And enough.
His face broke out in hives and another parent in the room noticed, thank goodness. I made a frantic trip to the store (too many red lights) to get Benadryl. He is okay--still a rash on his face and he's a bit scratchy. Thank goodness it wasn't a full blown reaction.
I've learned to be more careful. I had admittedly gotten too complacent. Letting people be around him with nuts. Not packing the epi-pen or benadryl. But now I know. Hopefully, I won't get relaxed again. And some other parents with food allergic kids and I are going to help write a food allergy policy for Village Home. Too many people think food allergies mean you have to eat it to have a reaction.

ETA: I have one more column on the right of the table. It's not showing up. Hmm. Anyway, it is a prep for tomorrow column. I'm especially proud of that one!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed with your meal planning!! hopefully it will inspire me...

I wish I had an exciting story about how I tore my rotator cuff... I played a lot of tennis in college, which the dr said led to arthritic changes, and it gradually sawed it down with repetitive motion until it snapped. ugh. I'm about 3 weeks out from surgery now, and feeling much better! the pt isn't a lot of fun though.

the tornados were all around us, but not in our immediate area. it was REALLY stormy here that night though, we have a lot of limbs down from trees..

Anonymous said...

do you take reader requests? haha! If so, what is your favorite recipe that you have found or created that you really like better than the traditional mainstream recipe?

RasJane said...

Wow, that's a toughie. I'm pretty proud of my gf/df/eg... bread recipe--that I can't use for M anymore.
I'll try to post a few of our favorites soon. Of course, if you talk to C, he will explain very well how unlikely it is to see me following a recipe!