Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Ahhh, rice.

So it seems that rice may be something that we have to watch out for. C is right. We need a rotation diet. And some professional help. So I have a call into a nutritional therapist and I'm working out new recipes. (Read--I'm dumping flours into the mixing bowls in ever new and creative ways and waiting to see what comes out of the oven.) By so doing, I've made a few disoveries.
First off, millet flour and tapioca starch biscuits are quite yummy.
Secondly, teff flour makes a delicious pizza crust. I like it better than the rice flour one. Much softer and has a better "mouth feel."
And, sadly, cooking without rice flour is expensive. A 25# bag of rice flour was running me in the neighborhood of $15. The 25# bag of teff flour I just ordered was $37.
I've been reading up on diet options. It seems we already pretty muc follow a Paleo-type diet. Only with only the meat for protein.
Our no-no's currently:

  • eggs
  • nuts and peanuts
  • wheat and gluten (oats, rye, barley, spelt and relatives)
  • sesame
  • dairy
  • corn
  • potatoes
  • refined sugar
  • anything at all artificial (dyes, flavors, sweeteners, preservatives)
Our things to rotate--ie, not use every day:
  • rice
  • soy-I try to just use this as soymilk when I really need it or tofu for Thanksgiving
  • sorghum
  • goats milk
  • legumes
  • I may need to watch out for tomatoes as they're related to potatoes
But there are lots of things I can use:
  • I found a good source for local, grass-fed beef if I buy a full side
  • all the other grains such as, buckwheat, teff, millet, quinoa, sorghum and amaranth
  • hemp seems to be safe
  • flax is working out pretty well for baking with
  • all other meats except shellfish are fine, and I do have access to lots of local, sustainable meats
  • fruits and veggies are fine
  • coconut, palm, olive, canola, avocado, grapeseed, and sunflower oils--I do have to work to make sure he gets enough fats
Nothing like a little challenge to keep my brain nimble. My hope is I can get M seen by the guy here in town who is so good, get his gut healed and have him be healthy finally. Wouldn't that be nice? I really don't want to have to send a really sick kid off to college who can only eat 4-5 things. I've got about 9 years.

No comments: