Sunday, August 08, 2010

Hello August

With such a weird summer, weather-wise, it does seem kinda sudden to have August here with heat and sun and sprinklers and all.  We did have clouds the last couple of days, but it's a nice break, really.  My garden is loving all the sunshine.  I really need to take some pictures!  The squash are taking over the backyard, as they are wont to do.  There is one giant pumpkin living up to its seed packet promises.  G keeps daily tabs (at least) on it's growth.  We are still awaiting the first red tomatoes, but the lateness with which we got them in, it's no wonder.
Oddly enough, with all this gorgeous (hot) weather, I am getting bit by the craft bug again.  I always like to create things, but once in a while it sinks it's teeth in and won't let go.  I am desperately crafty!  The large majority of my waking thoughts pertain to making things.  Just within the last few weeks, I have made a new skirt for me, 10 AIO diapers for baby M, a dress for baby M, seamed together the blackout fabric for C's studio and started a pj set for G's friend and rest pads for my friend's daycare.
I just bought Cal Patch's book, Design it Yourself Clothes and am soooo excited to make myself some new clothes.  I did find a skirt pattern from Simplicity that I like okay, but it's not great.  I have been dragging my feet on designing my own patterns because it just seemed like so much work.  But this book goes through the steps without a full sloper.  The only problems I'm going to run into are budget for the amount of fabric I want and the time it will take to design, draft and sew the amount I want LOL  I'll just have to reign in my imagination a tad.
I'll try to get a few more photos taken, but here's one of the diapers

Next week, as in tomorrow, G starts his last summer camp, then it will be on to soccer.  He is so dang excited about soccer!  After next week, M leaves to go to my parents' house for 2 weeks.  He loves that time to be spoiled by both Grandma and Grandpa.  Who wouldn't?
Then, all the boys start school in the fall.  M will be full-day 5th grade this year.  G absolutely insisted on going to kindergarten, so he'll do that.  Then I knew with the other 2 boys in school, E would feel left out.  So he is going to 2-day preschool at the same place G went to.  My friend does such an amazing job.  And she is doing this class just for 3 year olds, so it will be super fun for E.  And all my brain can think of is that with the lighter kid-load, I might actually get some more crafting time this fall!  It's a nice thought anyway.  :-)

1 comment:

GinaG said...

Wow! All the boys in school next year. How exciting for you guys! I really wish we lived close enough that you could teach my girls to sew. We just love your projects. I often wish the magic cleaning fairy would show up so that I could just focus on handicrafting and messing around in my kitchen. My eldest is also off for his much anticipated annual 2 weeks with Grandpa. Looks like you are having a good summer---now that summer has finally arrived.